Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Final Leg/Straw

Well all went great on my last day in China, but the trip home ran into a few snags. First my trip was to be just one layover in Tokyo and direct into Portland. I got to Shanghai's Pudong airport in plenty of time and it was no big deal. Its actually a fairly new and nice airport. After I boarded my flight we sat at the gate for about 30 or more minutes until the captain came on saying they were waiting for clearance from Air Traffic Control. After another 15 minutes we were still waiting. I don't know what the issue was but finally we started taxiing from the gate. Hooray! I might still have a 15-20 minute layover in Tokyo and maybe I could make my flight. No luck though, because once we got closer to the runway we sat again for what seemed like an eternity. I started thinking we'd never get out of there.

On arrival in Tokyo of course I got the lovely news that my flight had left without me and 5-6 other people on my original flight. I go to the re-booking area and thankfully NW had early notice we'd be late and had already re-booked many of us on alternate flights. Of course not one was direct like my original booking. So instead I rushed to make a Seattle flight just in time. Then that flight was delayed 30 minutes.

I get to Seattle and Customs clearance is required on your first stop/entry into the USA even if you have connections. I dutifully pre-fill my form out on the plane... Nothing to declare really. I get in the right line (US Citizens) and then I proceed to wait. And wait, and wait, and wait. The staffing for Customs in Seattle was ridiculous. They had one person for each line of at least 50 people or more waiting. I mean in China I was through Customs in about 10 minutes! It took at least 3x that in Seattle. Then you have to get your bag and take it through a security check. The bags didn't come for at least another 15 minutes. Then we watched numerous bags go around that weren't ours. I finally get my bag and get through security, but by then of course my connection in Seattle to Portland had already left (again).

I kept telling myself through each step, no point in getting upset. There's nothing I can do when this happens and eventually I'll get home. So I booked myself on the next available flight to Portland at 1pm. By they way I was originally scheduled to be home at 9 am in Portland. I get on the Portland leg and rejoice that I'm so close to being home. I get down to baggage claim and of course... No bag. Seriously, it was such a comedy of errors. Luckily I waited a bit longer and my bag arrived on the next flight in. Thank goodness Horizon flies into Portland so frequently. Even though it is literally a bus in the sky.

And that was my lovely end to the trip. I think I'm getting over jet lag. I think coming home is the worst in that regard. Ironically it helped to be forced to stay up most of the day switching planes so when I finally went to bed Saturday night I was exhausted. Problem is I still can't sleep fully at night. I'm getting more and more exhausted because I'm working so much right now and closing on my house. What insanity. I think I'll go to bed soon... Its 8:40.

1 comment:

Brenda L said...

This sounds very exhausting. I kind of started to panic when I thought of EVER flying with children. Maybe when they are teenagers.