Friday, July 25, 2008

The People of China


In my one week here in China I've made a few observations about the people of China...

  1. There is no problem with staring, spitting (and I mean hocking a really big one right by you), or being pushy. Things we would consider quite rude in the US are just commonplace in China and not rude at all. I just keep repeating "bu yao" (I don't want it) to the pushy vendors and ignoring the blatant stares I receive. Yet at the same time I find the people to be extremely friendly and generous and smiles come easily. There is an air of generosity that we just do not have a concept of.

  2. There is still very much a concept of the "People" of China as a hold over from the stronger days of the government. The people are still the "People". In fact today I was in the People's Square of the city and the patriotic flags and police every where really reminded me of the older pictures I've seen of this country in the media. Surrounding this though there is an amazing influx of the "new" in buildings, business and ideas. Things that would have never have been tolerated in the past are now creeping into this culture.

  3. Consumerism is alive and well in China. On every corner it felt like there was a Starbucks and a huge shopping center. So much to spend your money on here and all the big brands are definitely making their presence known. Obviously this drives my company's business success but I can't help but be conflicted over this. I guess it is inevitable that all cultures will want the "new" and "trendy" but I was telling my new friend today that I hope they hold closely to their culture and don't take too many cue's from the West.

  4. Business Cards are very important and there is a definite method for giving and receiving them. Reminder to self... Order more official business cards.

  5. Look both ways when crossing the street and no the cars will not stop for you and neither will people move to avoid you. So either stand your ground or get out of the way. This must be a by product of so many people in small spaces.

  6. No need to tip here (HOORAY!!!). Its so relieving to not always be digging in your purse for small change for tips.

No comments: