Friday, July 25, 2008

XieXie!

That is thank you in Chinese. My trip here has been a great first visit! I know already I will be back for work probably a few times this year and already I have my favorites and lists of what to do when I return. Not to mention where I can eat (Element Fresh was an awesome tip from Callie!). Not too mention California Pizza Kitchen and the great little french cafe chain Paul that I found.

No surprise but I will definitely be shopping more now that I know where to focus! Usually by the end of a trip I realize I should have saved my money in the beginning of the trip for the treasures that inevitably surface the farther you get in to your trip. It is so hard to pass things up though because of the fear that you might not be back to the same store or area before you leave. I MUST resist next time... Still I bought some wonderful cheap souvenirs this week and most of it was Chinese silk or tea related. I practiced bartering and "negotiating" on prices and learned the key is to half the price they first offer you at least or more and then always walk away. If the vendor really want to sell it to you they will stop you and take your "final price". Most prices are negotiated on calculators, so keep one handy in case their English is not so good. Also it helped today to have my Chinese coworker with me to know if I was being ripped off or not.

Top on my list of places is the fabric market we visited yesterday. Three floors of stalls where you can have clothing tailor made for you at amazing prices. We looked at cashmere coats that would be cut to fit you (and this is a huge when you are my size jacket sleeves in stores are much too long) for only $50 USD and you could probably negotiate more! I can't wait to go back when I have a little more time to wait for the finished products. How awesome to have anything tailor made any more. I am starting a list... Coat, Dress, PJ's and more will come to me I'm sure. Also I look forward to buying beautiful wall hangings, chop sticks and decorations to fit my new house.

I also can't wait to venture farther out of the city to see some more traditional areas of China. Also Beijing or Peking is high on my list. Its the home of the forbidden city and close to the great wall. I look forward to exploring it some day in the future. It is not so nearly overwhelming to think of traveling farther in China again now that I have been here and had a great starter course.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The tailor/clothing markets are awesome. I have a friend who had her wedding dress made there, while she was on a business trip.