Sunday, January 27, 2008

Relief!

I spent the weekend in San Francisco on my way home visiting my friends Margo and Matt and their cute three girls (my girls!). I always have so much fun with them, and there is nothing better than snuggling and hugging the girls when I’m with them. We did the typical tourist trap of the Piers and Fisherman’s Warf and of course Ghirardelli square. The chocolate store at Ghirardelli was so crowded it was nerve wracking. I of course had to buy some cool turquoise jewelry off a street vendor. I loved it and I got it for cheaper than he asked, as I’m not a pro bargainer I was proud of just not paying full price which normally I would.
Frost Family Portrait
Margo and Hannah
Sophia and I
The Sea Lions at Pier 39

I got a great deal also on the hotel. It was through Priceline. If you haven’t used it you should! Go the name your own price route, and go low in your asking price. I basically said I wanted a 4 star hotel in San Francisco downtown area (so we could walk everywhere) and said I’d pay 80 a night (which now makes me wish I’d gone lower) and I ended up at the very nice Hilton downtown. If you aren’t picky about which hotel you stay at and you don’t mind not earning frequent stay points, this is the best way to go. I could have even chose a boutique hotel (which seemed a little risky, but in SF it probably would have been very cool). So we discovered that even on the 17th floor it could be quite loud in the city (which seriously never sleeps, just like Singapore, am I the only one who doesn’t party until 4 in the morning??). But hey it’s not like I paid full price, so no big deal.

Matt took one for the team as I called and took the girls home for the evening and let Margo and I have the rest of the evening and day in the city together. It’s always just such an awesome time with Margo. I was happy just shopping (when doesn’t that make me happy). We found H & M, one of the coolest stores, and its affordable. I bought some great stuff there. Then we went to dinner at a fun Irish restaurant which is clearly one of the more lively spots downtown. It was so loud and packed, and frankly a bit of a meat market which is funny because Margo and I were just laughing at it. We had a great dinner and drinks.

So the next morning we wander down to get Starbucks and I decided to return two things I’d bought the day before that didn’t compare to my last minute H&M finds. Plus quite frankly I need to be more fiscally responsible, so a few good things are fine, but more than that and I need to really rethink things! We just took our time and my flight out was at 1, so somehow in my head I just kept thinking 12 for my flight.

Um yeah… Noon somehow that translated to leaving the hotel near noon, and then Margo got delayed getting the car from the garage and as I was waiting it finally hit me that I was in fact an idiot! I should have been at the airport by that time. I’m going to blame jet lag, but really I was just being a space cadet. So when Margo finally gets to me, we are both stressed because we’ve both realized we are cutting it way too close. Not a great way to end a fun weekend with one of my favorite people in the world. I just decided it didn’t matter, I was stressed but I would get home somehow. I might have to take a later flight but I’m sure I could get something. So as I waited on hold to get the emergency travel number for work I tried to calm down as Margo frantically tried to navigate the city which she hates driving in. In the end I was on hold the whole way to the airport so I just ended up hanging up and getting to an agent at the desk faster. Where I found out the flight was 2 hours delayed and I was now more than on time! Seriously, I believe God had favor on us today. Margo could go home not feeling bad that I missed my flight (I called her immediately so she wouldn’t worry) and I could stop stressing about my last leg home. Relief. Yet again I am sure people can ascribe this to luck or convenience, but I know what it really was. My Father looks out for me even in the minor details of life. I can’t wait to take a shower in my own house and sleep in my own bed tonight.

2 comments:

Karen Kay said...

What fun your blog is to read. And yes God is amazing! He is never late but seems to often test our stress (faith) levels. Isn't worry a sin? Is that in the Word? Hmmm, I will look that up.

Glad you're home--see you on Saturday. No work today--it's a "snow day." WaHoo!

meagan said...

Welcome Home!