Saturday, January 19, 2008

Change in plans...

So my original plan was to go on to Shanghai from Singapore, but as the week progressed it seemed pretty evident that the project here in Singapore needed the most help. So we cancelled my China portion of the trip. I'm sure I'll be there soon though. Its been interesting working with some of the different cultures. We are all very different people, and definitely our senses of humor are different. Already I've noticed that my Indian co-workers are very literal. Which when you are a sarcastic person with dry humor it doesn't really go over. I've also decided that they take more pictures than anyone I've ever seen. Literally everywhere I go there is a camera snapping pictures. I feel like I'm followed by the paparazzi. Which by the way... In my stop of in Seoul I am pretty sure some guy was stalking me and trying to take my picture in the airport. But when I noticed him he pretended to be doing something with his camera. Probably the blond hair.


Boat we took a tour on for dinner- Dinner wasn't so good, but the ride was. This was where there were the "paparazzi" everywhere.


Singapore seems to be just as much of a melting pot as the US. They have a ton of ex-pat's and are trying to attract more people to their little Island. There are Indians, Chinese, Malay's and more I'm sure. The food seems to be a mix of many different areas. I've been pretty good with the food, but yesterday I'd hit my limit and my new friend Jodie and I found an Italian restaurant in her Lonely Planet book and it was so fantastic. Seriously we couldn't eat any more rice! Oh and did I mention that I have a Starbucks across the way that I'm having breakfast at every morning... Some things are just nice when they are familiar. I did try an "American" breakfast in the hotel for room service... Their sausages were seriously like hot dogs. I couldn't eat them. The rest of the food was close enough.

The Singapore people are very friendly. The land here is very limited so they actually buy land (literally dirt) and add it to the Islands to give them more space to build and grow. Indonesia is only one kilometer away so they build to the south. So far it feels very much like Hawaii, but more Asian of course. Oh and my hotel is in the center of the hugest shopping district. Its literally malls in every direction. Its dangerous for me. I think I'll be checking out some of the sales tomorrow.

I took a cheesy tour today with the group from work, actually two tours with a stop in Chinatown for some Dim Sum. All of Chinatown is getting ready for Chinese New Year so it was really festive and fun.

Singapore Merlion- This is the symbol of Singapore and we saw it on our "cheesy" tour. Singapore means Lion City.


Dim Sum- This is a traditional Chinese New Year Dish, they only get it for New Year so they were very excited. Part of the fun is that everyone takes their Chopsticks and mixes all the ingredients together. It was really yummy. Its shredded veggies (I think...) and it was quite yummy. Chopsticks are not my forte, but I tried...




Some of the crew I was working with at a great resturant in the "ex-pat" area of Holland village. Awesome atmosphere, very mod and very good food!







Drunk Couple at the Bar- Seriously couldn't resist this one. We are at a bar that is literally under the escalator on Orchard Rd (huge shopping area). There was a live band that took requests and the lady slumped over was yelling to the band for a while and then about 15 minutes later I looked back and she and I presume her husband were slumped over asleep in their chairs. It was HYSTERICAL. Sorry its so grainy... Took it on my crackberry, I mean blackberry.

Chinatown- Putting up decorations everywhere. It was very festive and there were ton's of cheap souvenirs to bargain for.


Chinatown Stall- I think this was some kind of dried meat, like a sausage. They were all shriveled and weird. I didn't try one, but decided it was worth a pic.



Chinatown temple-

2 comments:

kate said...

I'm so happy for you. I love that you are so adventurous. Post more, Post lots. I always love to check it out and read up on where in the world katie is

Eucharisto said...

You're in Singapore? Fantastic! That's very exciting. I hope it's a great time for you!

Anyway, thought I'd say hi, haven't been "blog browsing" in quite a while, just got a new job. I posted a bit on it at my blog, check it out if you get a minute!

(BTW, blogger is making me sign in to it, but I'm still at my wordpress blog, www.poetsandpriests.com)