Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Communication Joy of the Day

Today I was helping someone via email who's an ESL (english as a second language) speaker. Most of the time I can figure out what people are trying to tell me via email, but at times the words just don't come out right. I'm never sure if its that they sound similiar or it was just a typo but they can be pretty funny. After going back and forth on an issue I got this as a reply "I am sorry for lagging you. But you are super woman of all solution". You can't help but smile! I assume lagging was really nagging, which they weren't doing. And yes quite frankly I AM a super woman of solutions! These emails really make my day.

I really don't mind the funny grammar and vocabulary, because honestly I'm sure if I was trying to speak in their language it would be WAY worse and they'd be laughing at my sad attempts. Though I really do need to attempt to get familiar with at least some of the other languages in my region. I'm taking a very basic mandarin class with some other people in my area in the next month. We'll see how that goes because its an entirely different alphabet on top of it being a different language for me to sort out. I want to build a little familiarity though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is your first lesson. Manderin doesn't have an alphabet...thats what makes it so fun!!!!

We are enyoing all your cultural observations. Keep it up.
Matt Newkirk

Katie said...

Yeah... I have NO clue. :-) I found out that chopsticks should never be standing straight up in anything. Some relationship/symbolism of death. And I had to laugh because at last year's holiday party that's how Meagan and I had them presented on the table. Ha, ha, ha!